Permanent Change of Station (PCS) - Employees with status: A fixed relocation payment of $10,000 will be paid.
Who May Apply:
Current or Former Federal Employees & EVHO
Click here for definition of EVHO.
We are not accepting applications from non-U.S. citizens.
How We Will Evaluate You:
Applicants may be rated on the extent and quality of experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position(s). All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated.
The Next Generation of Flight is Underway - and you can be part of it! We need you and your fresh ideas to shape the air transportation system of tomorrow, and the way America flies. Come be a part of the new generation in aviation, an industry that is absolutely critical to this nation's economy and security.
The Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) is a fundamental transformation of our nation's airspace system. It uses 21st century technologies to meet future demands, avoid gridlock in the sky and on the runways, further improve safety, and protect the environment. For more information on NextGen, watch this brief introduction : NextGen Introduction
The mission of the Human Factors Research and Engineering Group is to provide scientific and technical support for the civil aviation human factors research program and for human factors applications in acquisition, certification, regulation, and standards. In addition, they develop and assure implementation of human factors policies, regulations, programs, and procedures which promote the safety and productivity of the national airspace system. They also formulate and manage the aviation human factors research program and provide human factors support to acquisition and regulatory activities in support of the Next Generation Air Transportation System.
If you are hired for this position at the FV-J pay band, you will provide advice, expertise, management and technical support on the planning, design, development, and conduct of a variety of human factors projects or programs in support of research and engineering for civil aviation.
In addition, you will apply your advance skill and knowledge to research and engineering areas of concentration that may include; (1) air traffic control systems, (2) air traffic control systems acquisition, (3) air traffic control operations, (4) technical operations support, (5) personnel selection and training; and (6) communication, navigation and surveillance system integration.
If you are hired at the FV-K pay band, in addition to the above responsibilities, you will develop and manage research requirements, solicit and evaluate project proposals, manage the execution of research and/or engineering projects or programs, identify and assess existing or potential issues, risks, and solutions involving human factors and human performance in civil aviation operations, collect and analyze data, prepare results and conclusions, write reports and present findings and recommendations.
Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position, OR, a combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with the knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field, OR four years of appropriate experience that demonstrate that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
To qualify for this position at the FV-J, you must demonstrate in your application that you possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to FV-I or FG/GS-13 in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. Specialized experience may include but is not limited to: providing technical and management support for aviation human factors research projects; conducting and managing research on civil aviation air traffic control operations; preparing, soliciting and evaluating research requirements, proposals and products; preparing budgets; writing and briefing technical and management documents and presentations; and participating and coordinating with other teams, work groups, or organization members on aviation research or engineering matters.
To qualify for this position at the FV-K, you must demonstrate in your application that you possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to FV-J or FG/GS-14 in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. Specialized experience may include but is not limited to: providing technical and management expertise and leadership for aviation human factors research programs; conducting and managing research on civil aviation air traffic control operations; directing human factors integration in the acquisition or development of air traffic control systems; managing the preparation, solicitation and evaluation of research requirements, proposals, and products; managing budgets; writing and briefing technical and management documents and presentations; and leading teams, work groups, or organization members on aviation research or engineering matters.
Applicants should include examples of specialized experience in their work history.
Applicants may be asked to verify information on your application for employment with the FAA.
QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position has a positive education requirement. Unless you are currently in the 101 Scientific and Technical Advisor series, you must submit a copy of your transcripts prior to the closing date of this announcement. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF CONSIDERATION. Please fax these transcripts to 609-486-8995 to the attention of Amy Speicher and reference the announcement number on the FAX. IF SELECTED, OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT. If you do not have an official transcript (original with a raised seal) you should request it today. Schools must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Accreditation may be verified at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Other Job Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA)
1. Knowledge of human factors research and engineering. Please describe your knowledge of human factors research and engineering gained through education and experience.
2. Ability to apply (i.e., plan, coordinate, develop, execute, and sustain) human factors science and best practices in research, engineering, and development activities and programs. Please describe your ability to identify requirements, develop plans and analyses, coordinate with sponsors, defend budgets, and disseminate results.
3. Knowledge of aviation systems and aviation operations. Please include experience with human factors considerations involving integration of aviation technologies, air traffic control system development, or ATC system operations.
4. Skill in communication and teamwork with operational, research, engineering, and planning organizations. Please include experience developing research requirements and transitioning research products into operations, participating in government/industry working group meetings, or coordinating with human factors practitioners at universities, government agencies, and in industry.
IMPORTANT: Ensure that your work experience supports your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) answers. Your answers and associated work experience will be evaluated further to validate whether the answers that you selected are appropriate. Answers may be adjusted by a Human Resource Specialist as appropriate.
FAA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits programs. To learn more about the federal government benefits, please click here.
More Information About This Job:
We may use this vacancy to fill other similar vacant positions.
Travel may be required.
Position may be subject to a background investigation.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
1) In the text box following each Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA),please provide a brief explanation of your possession of the applicable KSA. Include the name, title, organization name, and phone number of at least one reference that can be contacted for further verification of your level of capability.
2) Salary includes locality payment of 24.22%.
3) All or none of the applicants may be interviewed.
4) Selection may be made from this announcement or announcement number ACT-AJP-11-AJS6120-21484.
5) Applicants must apply on-line to receive consideration for this vacancy announcement. Faxed, mailed or e-mailed applications cannot be accepted.
6) Only supplemental documentation, e.g. transcripts or veteran's documentation will be accepted in combination with your on-line application. These documents may be faxed to: Amy Speicher at 609-485-8995 on or before the closing date of this announcement. All submitted documents should reference the announcement number.
7) FAA's CORE COMPENSATION PLAN
This position is covered by the FAA Core Compensation plan. Additional information about core compensation is available on the following website: https://employees.faa.gov/org/staffoffices/ahr/policy_guidance/hr_policies/hrpm/comp/comp_ref/.
8) Eligible applicants meeting the minimum qualification requirements and selective factor(s), if applicable, may be further evaluated on the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) listed in the announcement. Based on this evaluation, applicants will be placed in one of the following categories: score order, category grouping, or alphabetical and referred to the selecting official for consideration.
This is a bargaining unit position.
Applicants claiming eligibility for the Expanded Veterans Hiring Opportunity (EVHO), MUST submit a DD Form 214 reflecting character of service to verify eligibility by the closing date of the announcement as requested by the Human Resource Office. Eligibility for EVHO will be considered based on applicable documentation submitted by the closing date.
You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
If selected, official college or university transcript must be submitted.
Report of Separation from Active Duty (DD214) or other proof, upon request.
Notification of Personnel Action (SF50), upon request.